Monday, February 20, 2012

Web sites and books and blogs, oh my!

Support in recovery is so important. Education is as well. It was through reading articles, books and stories of other survivors that I realized that I wasn't alone in what I felt. I was amazed at how universal the effect of abuse is on people. It doesn't seem to even make a difference what the actual abuse was or how old one was when it happened. I was 18 years old when my abuse began and it affected me deeply. One doesn't have to be a minor for it to be devastating.

There is so much support and information available to people who are trying to recover from abuse by members of the clergy. I am beginning to gather names and addresses of web sites, blogs, books and articles. They will be posted on this blog.

If you find any of these ministries helpful, please consider supporting them financially. Most of them are non-profit organizations and exist only to help us. Most of these sites have a vast wealth of information and resources on them.

It is critical that we maintain hope.  I want to share that with you.  I'm sure you would rather hear more inspiration than my tales of woe!  Hopefully I can find a balance between the two so that we can all learn and grow.

The web sites that I am posting I find helpful and hope that you will, too.  Many of them are faith-based and specifically Catholic.  I will throw in some other kinds in the future, so keep checking the list for updates. 

If you would like to see something specific, or would like me to consider putting your blog up, please let me know.  I'm finding that there are networks out there.  I would like to pull in those who fit into a circle of female survivors of sexual abuse by priests.  A neighboring circle would include other types of abuse, other faith traditions and men.  To offer resources for the faith aspect of healing, the Catholic web sites are listed as well as other blogs.

Posting of these resources does not imply endorsement or approval of the contents therein.

Post a Comment